Welcoming a New Blogger

January 13, 2015

Vox Nova is very pleased to announce that Jeannine Pitas will be joining us as a regular contributor.  She has given us several guest posts already.

She provides us with the following biographical information:

Jeannine M. Pitas is a teacher, writer and Spanish-English translator currently living in Toronto, where she recently completed a PhD at University of Toronto’s Centre for Comparative Literature. She is the author of the poetry chapbook “Our Lady of the Snow Angels” (published by Toronto-based Lyricalmyrical Press in 2012) and the translator of acclaimed Uruguayan poet Marosa di Giorgio’s “The History of Violets” (published by Brooklyn-based Ugly Duckling Presse in 2010). She is very excited to write for Vox Nova.

Please join us in welcoming her to Vox Nova.

Advertisements
  1. January 13, 2015 8:46 am

Welcome! It’s great to have you aboard. :)

2. Mark VA permalink
    January 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Pitas: it’s a tip, pit, tap, pat, sit, sip, sap, spit, spat, as is at it.

Welcome, Jeannine M, may all you blogging here be gracious!

3. Julia Smucker permalink*
    January 15, 2015 9:58 pm

Hey, I didn’t even realize I was welcoming a fellow linguist. iQue bueno! (Though I may have to rib her a bit about how weird Spanish looks for being the only language in the world that does that inverted punctuation thing.)

• Julia Smucker permalink*
      January 15, 2015 10:01 pm

And it doesn’t help that this serif font makes the “i” look ridiculously obvious.

• David Cruz-Uribe, SFO permalink
      January 16, 2015 9:57 am

according to Wikipedia, they are also used in Waray-Waray (spoken in the Philippines) and occasionally in Catalan for emphasis. But you are right, I never stopped to think about this before.

4. January 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I’ll be very eager to post here, once I figure out the technical aspects! And Julia, I’m afraid I know nothing at all about linguistics – I do literary scholarship. But I’d like to learn some linguistics some day! :)