Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe

December 12, 2013

Today is the feast day of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe, our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of Mexico, Patroness of the Americas.

virgen-de-guadalupe

In honor of today’s feast, I want to share the message of Papa Francisco to the Americas in honor of this feast day, and a rendition of the traditional song sung before la Virgen on this day.

Tomorrow is the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Patroness of the Americas. I would like to greet all my brothers and sisters on that continent, and I do so thinking of the Virgin of Tepeyac. When Our Lady appeared to Saint Juan Diego, her face was that of a woman of mixed blood, a mestiza, and her garments bore many symbols of the native culture. Like Jesus, Mary is close to all her sons and daughters; as a concerned mother, she accompanies them on their way through life. She shares all the joys and hopes, the sorrows and troubles of God’s People, which is made up of men and women of every race and nation.
When the image of the Virgin appeared on the tilma of Juan Diego, it was the prophecy of an embrace: Mary’s embrace of all the peoples of the vast expanses of America – the peoples who already lived there, and those who were yet to come. Mary’s embrace showed what America – North and South – is called to be: a land where different peoples come together; a land prepared to accept human life at every stage, from the mother’s womb to old age; a land which welcomes immigrants, and the poor and the marginalized, in every age. A land of generosity. That is the message of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and it is also my message, the message of the Church. I ask all the people of the Americas to open wide their arms, like the Virgin, with love and tenderness.

And here is a rendition of Las Mananitas, as sung at the Basilica in Mexico City in 2012 on her Feast day:

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe, pray for all your children, now and in the hour of our death.

Update:  for a summary of the story of St. Juan Diego and the Virgin, and another version of Las Mananitas, see my post from last year.

Advertisements
  1. December 12, 2013 10:55 am

Oh this is wonderful, I love the video.

2. December 12, 2013 11:09 am

Les comparto a mi . . .

VIRGENCITA GUADALUPE

Posada sobre la luna,
    cuidas mi nopal, . . . mi tuna,
    tornas suaves las espinas
    del mundo, en que me encaminas.

Benditos siempre tus pies,
    nunca tocarán el suelo,
    tú te elevas, . . . así es,
    curando mi desconsuelo.

Virgencita Guadalupe,
    hoy, rezándote, ya supe,
    de tu gran misericordia,
    al mexicano . . . la gloria.

Madrecita de Juan Diego,
    a tus designios me pliego,
    manos de la imploración,
    de súplica, del perdón.

Tu tez, de color morena,
    es calma que me serena,
    fe, esperanza, caridad,
    aullentando la maldad.

Quiero que me hagas milagro,
    quites penas, trago amargo,
    que nunca nos desampares,
    que cuides nuestros hogares.

Manto con el que nos cubres,
    bondad, la que tú descubres,
    mes diciembre, tu día doce,
    que de ti . . . mi alma goce.

Autor: Lic. Gonzalo Ramos Aranda
    México, D. F., a 12 de diciembre del 2012.
    Dedicado al Sr. Ing. José Guillermo Romero Aguilar.
    Reg. SEP. Indautor No. 03-2013-051712171201-14

• David Cruz-Uribe, SFO permalink
      December 12, 2013 11:24 am

Muchas Gracias!

To my English speaking readers: I will try to bang out a translation, but it will take a while–my Spanish sucks. I tried Babelfish, but it choked pretty badly.

3. MLR permalink
    December 13, 2013 12:40 am

Love this! I had my Spanish students watch it so they could understand the importance of this day.

• David Cruz-Uribe, SFO permalink
      December 13, 2013 8:09 am

Fabulous! What did they think?

• MLR permalink
        December 14, 2013 12:42 am

They were intrigued. We had been working on the song for a week because we sang it at Mass & they had a hard time comprehending how the big stars of Mexico would gather in a Church to sing to a painting. Gringos just don’t do things like that.

• David Cruz-Uribe, SFO permalink
          December 14, 2013 8:17 am

True. This is something I made a big point out of to my kids: that this entire concert is for the benefit of la Virgen, and every performer turns his back on the audience and sings to her. I suppose that one could draw a parallel with a mass said “ad orientem” but for some reason these feel different to me. I cannot put the reason why into words, however.

• Kurt permalink
          December 14, 2013 8:44 am

I think the answer lies with a point once raised here. A proponent of “ad orientem” thought that the celebrant should be facing the cruxifix. The proponents of the liturgical renewal wished to establish the altar as the principal representation of Christ in the sanctuary. The celebrant can face the altar with either the apse or the congregation across from it, eliminating any particular advantage in facing the apse.

It is just a matter of liturgical principles as to what is the primary representation of Christ in the sanctuary.

1. Virgen de Guadalupe | AnaElisa