Donald Trump: The President We Deserve

December 22, 2011

Newt Gingrich has come and gone. I thought he might offer something concrete via immigration reform, but, alas, he seems to have backed off and has added provisos that are counterproductive, along with more than enough counterbalancing nonsense. Oh well.

Since coming to this sad realization, I’ve been searching for my next candidate.

Listening to him promote his new book (Time to Get Tough: Making America #1 Again) on the radio last night, I began to deeply regret Donald Trump dropping out of the GOP primary discussion so quickly.

Thankfully, this morning I received some wonderful news: Trump is considering running as third party candidate! The perfect Christmas gift for the United States of America: a president we deserve.

The perfect Christmas gift for the USA. I mean every last word of that sentence.

During the secular Christmas season (that begins on Black Friday), we see what this country is made of. We unite together in the sacred ritual of shopping. We attend the new, modern cathedral: the shopping mall. Some go on pilgrimage, others hold vigil services outside, other others create their own, religious alternatives—e.g. small business Saturday, sponsored by American Express.

Surely, if the USA is going to be numero uno again, we MUST go shopping. We consume more than any other nation in the world, but they’re catching on quickly and we must rise to the shopping challenge.

The only sin in America is the despicable life of poverty. It is a sin to be poor; it is sinful to not try to become rich, like us.

Donald Trump will surely teach us how to shop, how to consume, how to be true Americans. This is why America is struggling: we are not as rich as we need to be. Trump understands this.

I understand that some people vote for a presidential candidate who represents an aspirational vision of what our country could and perhaps should be. We like to elect people who make us feel like we are headed somewhere else, somewhere better. I think it’s time to stop this madness: it is high time that we elect a president who shows us where we are now, who we are today, what we have become up to this point.

It is time to elect a president in touch with our truest national self.

No one I can think of fits this description better than Donald Trump. To elect Trump is to look in the mirror and face the reality of what this country is all about.

During the secular Christmas season, we like to pretend that we are a Christian nation or that we are a democratic, pluralistic nation. We compete over territory that is already fixed and set. Everyone secretly knows what we really are: we are a nation where, no matter who you are, no matter what you look like, no matter what you believe or disbelieve, money is power. Get rich and everything will take care of itself.

That why we stay engaged in wars: to force the military industrial complex to go shopping. That is why we have these huge, so-called “public” institutions like schools and jails and other places where people sit in cells, observed by surveillance cameras, being fed like cattle, in cafeterias: they create very particular economic demands and train shoppers, predictable objects who value themselves and others by their pocket books and their fucking tennis shoes.

Trump embodies the these sacred, shopping virtues that saturate and sanctify our collective psyche. If we want someone who will really represent America for who are truly are, then we must elect Donald Trump.

He’s the president we deserve.

1. Rodak permalink
    December 22, 2011 7:00 pm

*sigh*

2. Brian Martin permalink
    December 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Bloody Brilliant! loving the sarcasm

• December 22, 2011 7:11 pm

I’m being dead serious. He is the president we deserve if we go the route of voting at ourselves in the mirror.

3. December 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I think we already have the president we deserve. In fact I think we have always had the presidents we deserved.

• December 22, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, Agellius. The sentiment of this post agrees with you entirely. Trump represents this on a whole different scale, in terms of visability.

• Mark Gordon permalink
      December 22, 2011 9:19 pm

I know this will irritate a lot of readers here, and even a few contributors, but there isn’t a dime’s worth of substantive difference – real difference – between Barack Obama and Donald Trump. Any apparent difference is window dressing. Both represent militarism abroad and plutocracy at home.

• December 22, 2011 10:09 pm

The only difference — but, as you note, it’s not a real difference — is that Trump is a symbol, an icon of these things in a way that indisputably emblematic.

4. Smith permalink
    December 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Aside for the F-bomb nice article.

5. December 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks, Smith. Sorry I fucked it up for you. :)

• grega permalink
      December 23, 2011 1:15 am

Honestly Sam I will have a hard time taking you seriously going forward –
      to me it seems that currently a rather deep seated Nihilism informs you political musings-
      and no your ‘funny’ responds to Julian does not reflect very positively on your current disposition either – what is it with some of you guys at VN recently?

• December 23, 2011 1:32 am

grega,

If don’t take me seriously, that’s fine. I mean, it doesn’t make me happy, but there is little I can do to stop you. For what it’s worth: I am very serious. It is one of the only things I can say with confidence. I could always be more serious, but I am serious. This cannot be proven, it can only be believed through trust or curiosity or whathaveyou.

I wasn’t being funny in my reply to Julian. I just heard that fine story over dinner with the priests at St. Boniface in Lafayette, IN. My disposition with regard to politics these days is sour, I admit—BUT DO YOU SEE WHAT IS OUT THERE?! To be poorly disposed about bad things is nothing but fidelity to what is the case.

I am not a nihilist, not at all. I do believe, however, that disallusionment is one of the first steps towards re-enchantment. More deeply, I am committed to a philosophy rooted in tragedy that evokes love. Why did I say “fuck”? Because I was/am mad.

Ivan Illich, who wrote “Deschooling Society,” was/is often dismissed as nihilist—so was/is Nietzsche. What I find in them both, and even more deeply in the Gospel, is the reality that death—real, incarnate death, death to self—comes before resurrection.

This post began as satire and ended in jeremiad. That’s how it came out. Call it not serious or nihilistic if you wish. I will not sterilize these things I jot down from time to time here. I might be wrong, sure, but I am serious about this stuff.

Last thing: a true nihilism is that which believes that an end to an economy or a nation-state is somehow a plunge into nothingness. To entertain and even desire the demise of the American Empire is not nihilism. It is hope.

• Peter Paul Fuchs permalink
        December 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Sam,

Well, I am an expert. Because I have actually stayed at a Trump Hotel. Namely, we stayed at the Trump Las Vegas two years ago. It was empty. An enormous, glittering, gaudy, empty hotel. We paid peanuts and got the biggest suite with two giant rooms we ever got. It was great. So I am an expert. And expert on the idea that there is nothing better than somehow benefitting by from the nutty grand designs of a businessman who has largely been a failure but knows how to works a vast PR machine.

I had waiting to go to Las Vegas for a lifetime. having been all around the world, and having avoided sin city for all of my existence, I was prepared suitably to be very underwhelmed and aghast. Nothing prepares you for the sight (we drove from LA) of this bedraggled island of crap emerging from the desert. Everything was vastly cheaper and stupider looking than I could have ever dreamed. Our hotel room made up for it. And the truffle-raviolis at the Bellagio. You know so much has gotten worse in my lifetime. But one of the few things that arguably has gotten better is food. And I will be damned if I am not going to enjoy one of the few things that has improved. That explains the the twenty raviolis! It was a buffet after alll.

6. Julian Barkin permalink
    December 22, 2011 11:03 pm

What? No! heck no. All this guy’s about is business and money and he’s gone in the hole twice in his overall career. Furthermore there is not one Iota of the ethos of the Christian Faith eminating from this guy. What about those controversial issues like right to life at both ends of the spectrum? Will he kill bill CC 1867 that can essentially allow the USA government to raid any citizens’ home if they are not in the interest of the State or “conspiring with terrorists” or “engaging in activites that threaten the state”? Really I can’t take him seriously after “The Apprentice” and wouldn’t vote for him if I lived in the States.

And Sam, they allow you to use vulgarity unedited here on Vox Nova? Can anyone do that?

• December 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Ha, ha, Julian. You either didn’t read or didn’t understand. Take a deep breath and read the whole thing, then chuckle like I did when I read your silly comment.

On vulgarity: I am Catholic, not a puritan. There is a lovely story of Chesterton hosting Henry James for high tea. While having a proper tea, four drunk vagabonds burst through some bushes yelling, “bacon and beer!”—one of those vagabonds was Hilaire Belloc. If you want to read more vulgarity from me, see my recent essay “Solidarity in Vulgarity,” a few posts ago.

Vox Nova is nothing more than the writers, we edit all our own posts. I usually edit pretty poorly. Mea culpa—but only for the editing.

Bacon and beer!

7. grega permalink
    December 23, 2011 2:46 am

Sam – thanks for your responds – I am still a bit surprised how deeply your wound seem to be- sure many things here in the US are not ideal – freedom tends to cut many ways. I personally deeply appreciate the freedom.
    For every Donald Trump you can find Millions of extremely hard working Americans who do not exactly live the kind of life you seem to attribute to all of us as a group – do you have a country or time in mind that is/was /will be fundamentally different?
    In my view what we see today here in the US is the result of a long and overall very rationale social development. The system will correct some of the outliers – but overall as depressing as this might be for you what you see today is the result of a dream kept alive by many generations – to come in late in this ancient game as some sort of ‘well meaning ‘philosopher king with grandiose ideas for the future of humankind – is IMHO a not particular humble attempt to raise once ‘unique idea’ insight above everybody else – Your’ dream’ of this all going away and coming to some sort of decadent end is just that – your dream. Millions will see to it that the american story continues like with sensitive adjustments to the status quo but with no radical shift.

• December 23, 2011 9:33 am

grega,

Modernity itself, the Age of Reason and Science, the time of liberal individualism and secularism, and the rest. This is what I am after. The USA is simply the climax of modernity. The objectification of the human person into a modern man, a homo economicus, a human resource, this is the great sin and lie of our time. These dreams of mine, however, do not come from nowhere: many others have said similar things. In the end, I await the reign of God, the kingdom of God, and will settle for nothing less. Now, you reading of this post, and perhaps others, suffers from a certain defensiveness. Of course there are major exception to the rule. Thanks God for that. Thank God for Wendel Berry and his ilk. Thank God for monks and nuns. To read this satire/jeremiad as some kind of treatise is to fail to use your imagination. The American story will likely end as the Roman story and all other imperial stories, the question is what will remain. If the American story does end, we are not left with nothing; we are left with hope and, of course, love.

• Tim Leonard permalink
        December 23, 2011 10:37 am

This too shall pass.

• December 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Indeed it will, Tim. Tomas and I are reading The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and I can’t help but take great hope in the story of the end of winter (without Xmas). Aslan is on the move.

• Peter Paul Fuchs permalink
        December 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Sam,

How do you get from the Age of Reason, which was about a lot more than economics or individualism, to Donald Trump?? That is really an Evil Kenieval type jump

• December 23, 2011 6:56 pm

PPF: I see now that my earlier writings on modernism and liberalism are buried in the archives of VN. (They are also in my book, Things and Stuff.) I hope to respond to your question in a separate post, as a reminder of my sense of the times. Thanks!

8. David Cruz-Uribe, SFO permalink*
    December 23, 2011 7:20 am

Sam, did anyone ever tell you how much you sound like Christopher Hitchens? :-)

• December 23, 2011 9:19 am

Ha! Nice one. Touche…

• Mark Gordon permalink
        December 23, 2011 12:07 pm

You’re my hero! ;-)

9. December 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Nice to see my fellow contributors have sense of humor — assholes. If this were live, I’d cuss each of you personally and buy the next round… =]

• David Cruz-Uribe, SFO permalink*
      December 23, 2011 7:26 pm

If you mail me some money, I will buy a six-pack and then you can Skype me and curse me out. (Isn’t technology wonderful?)

However, if you keep cursing like a gringo, I am going to start calling you a pendejo: show some pride in Mexican obscenities.

• December 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Harking back to my years in the Bronx, I personally prefer “culo” or “maricon” — but pendejo also has a nice ring to it.

10. December 23, 2011 8:53 pm

“Culero,” would be the right expression, Rodak. “Piche culero” is nice too.

• December 23, 2011 8:59 pm

The Puerto Ricans in the Bronx say “culo” where the Irish would say “arsehole” (or worse.)

11. Peter Paul Fuchs permalink
    December 23, 2011 9:04 pm

grega,

“In my view what we see today here in the US is the result of a long and overall very rationale social development.

Where does Real Housewives of Orange County fit in??

12. December 27, 2011 12:34 am

The United States is the quintessential spiritual product of the Protestant Revolt followed in its logic, by the Eighteenth Century Enlightenment. Both are enemies–true enemies, in the “AntiChrist” sense–of Judaeo-Christian spirituality, ethics and prayer-life. Roman Catholicism has done a poor job of upholding the values of that ancient, Mother Earth-saving spirituality, but, in fact, aside from the mystical traditions of the East, IT and it alone in the West are all that remain of what Frithjof Schuon and others have called “the Tradition.” (I would discount Eastern Orthodoxy, because of its rabid sectarianism; the Roman Church is, at least in certain of its inclinations, universalist–as all of the life-saving religious traditions must come to be–and fast!)

• Rodak permalink
      December 28, 2011 11:31 am

@ digbydolben —

Isn’t what you express exactly the kind of attitude that is responsible for the repeated rumbles which occur at holy sites in Israel, and elsewhere, as featured in the article posted by David Cruz-Uribe earlier today? If you’re going to sneer at people, they’re going to want you off their turf.

• December 28, 2011 1:18 pm

I’m only talking about theoretical doctrine, and not about how the so-called “faith” is lived. However, unlike a lot of other political-minded people writing here, I believe that, in the long term, the life of the intellect takes precedence and has greater effect, than practical “reality.” Ideas count MORE than “actions.”

• December 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Oh, and I AM “off the turf” of the United States of America–and intend to remain so!

• Peter Paul Fuchs permalink
      December 28, 2011 12:59 pm

digby,

Oy Vey!

• Rodak permalink
        December 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Vey ist mir!

• Rodak permalink
        December 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Uh, digby…I don’t think the article I cited was about Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. That noted, actions tend to reflect intellect (or lack thereof.)
        The problem with intellect is that it so often becomes an end-in-itself. You seem to actually be advocating that. It is my concept that intellect takes one to that boundary where the possibility of encountering actual Truth begins. On the way there, however, it is useful in making decisions that serve to keep one on the straight and narrow, so long as it is guided by the small still voice and does not get distracted by the floor show and all that glitters.

13. December 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Digby writes, “I believe that, in the long term, the life of the intellect takes precedence and has greater effect, than practical “reality.” Ideas count MORE than “actions.””

Which, generally, is why I consider it more important to vote for pro-life candidates, than for candidates who promise to take practical steps to reduce numbers of abortions without actually being opposed to abortion.

• Rodak permalink
      December 28, 2011 4:07 pm

@ Agellius –

That’s a distinction without a difference. At least it has been so far.

• Kurt permalink
      December 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Agellius,

Tell me more about these intellectually firm and consistent pro-life candidates. This is what I have been looking for for a long time.

• December 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Kurt:

I get the feeling that is a loaded question.

• December 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Agellius, what about candidates who promise to take “practical steps to reduce the numbers of abortions” and who ALSO oppose abortion in principle? In principle, I agree with you, but there is a type of “conservatism” which understands that one must pick one’s battles with the culture and not hope for a “restoration” of the past. I am that type of “conservative.” However, again, I repeat: I DO agree with you and would NEVER support a candidate who thinks that abortion is a good idea.

1. F-ing Tennis Shoes? « Vox Nova