1. Kurt permalink
    December 21, 2011 8:59 pm

There are obvious differences between the Pope and President Obama. For example the Pope is….ummm…ah….well, he’s not like Obama. He’s…..well, ….Obama’s not a real American. I mean, I guess the Pope is not American too, but in a different way. Pope Benedict could be an American….I mean he would “fit in” better in our society than people like Obama. I think you know what I mean.

• Josh permalink
      December 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Um… well… Nope, I haven’t got a clue what you mean.

2. December 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I hear that Obama eats three capitalists for breakfast every morning.

3. brettsalkeld permalink*
    December 22, 2011 9:16 am

I have no problem with the fact that some people make more than others (though I have a huge problem with the scale to which this has been and is being pushed), but Santorum’s ideas about why some people make more than others are completely disingenuous.

As a professor of theology, I will be at the bottom of the university payscale. But it has nothing to do with me working less hard, having worse ideas, or taking fewer risks than my colleagues in law or medicine or engineering. In point of fact, just getting a doctorate in theology was a much bigger risk financially than going to law school would have been. (Theologians and lawyers have remarkably overlapping skill sets.)

Santorum is taking things that are only very occasionally true (and which never exist in isolation from other factors) and turning them into dogma. He completely ignores the complex combination of reasons why some people make more than others.

4. December 22, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks, This saved me looking up the passages from Catholic Social Teaching.

It seems, though, that Santorum thinks getting rid of income inequality means absolute equality. As I understand CST, the question includes the problem of extreme inequality and, perhaps better, inequity.

• brettsalkeld permalink*
      December 22, 2011 2:32 pm

The thing is, of course, that anyone who thinks before they talk knows that no serious person thinks every person should make exactly the same as every other person. Not that I don’t believe Santorum was thinking. I am fairly sure he was. Even though he knows that no one believes what he’s arguing against, Santorum is ignoring what he knows to be true in order to invent a strawman so that he can spout soundbites. This is political discourse at its worst.

5. Paul DuBois permalink
    December 22, 2011 12:55 pm

I have said many times progressives are misunderstood. We do not hate the rich, we just want them to stop complaining about it.

• john f permalink
      December 24, 2011 11:17 am

LOL, Paul, I know ,to listen to some of those on the right , you’d think the poor are the ones that are underworked and overpaid.

6. December 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Pope Alexander VI:

“There’s nothing wrong with selling Cardinalships and Indulgences to keep ones lavish lifestyle”

7. December 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Santorum is an evil idiot. The problem in this country is that people who work hard and play by the rules get screwed, and the rich are for the most part lazy thieves. I know because I haven’t lived in a fantasy world like Santorum does.

1. Belief Bytes, Dec. 22: Thursday’s Religion Roundup | Religion News Wilmington
  2. slacktivist » ‘But we cannot have both’