Relax, Obama is Not the Antichrist

August 15, 2008

So say the authors of the Left Behind series:

“I can see by the language he uses why people think he could be the antichrist, but from my reading of scripture, he doesn’t meet the criteria. There is no indication in the Bible that the antichrist will be an American.”

Rats, I guess that means it’s not Dick Cheney either then? And I hadn’t realized the bible made so many references to America…

But seriously, can this nonsense be regarded as Christianity at all? It seems to come from the same, very American, pop-Gnosticism stew that gave us Scientology and Mormonism. And yet these books are scarily popular.

1. Mark DeFrancisis permalink*
    August 15, 2008 10:52 am

Tell RedState this; they are peddling “O, The Anti-Christ” mugs, t-shirts and buttons. The ‘O’s have horns.

I know, it’s only a joke…

2. August 15, 2008 11:22 am

The Anti-Christ an American! The highest of all heresy!

3. LCB permalink
    August 15, 2008 11:27 am

I think America is the only country where people would except the anti-Christ to be an American. After all, we’re the most important country ever, so the anti-Christ must come from here and all the bible prophecies MUST relate to us!

4. August 15, 2008 11:28 am

MM: LOL!

5. phosphorious permalink
    August 15, 2008 1:39 pm

“I can see why you might think he’s a being of pure evil, who actively seeks the destruction of mankind, but. . . ”

A non-denial denial if ever there were one.

6. August 15, 2008 3:21 pm

I find this pretty hilarious.

7. August 15, 2008 10:54 pm

I’m glad that a couple of fiction writers set us all straight. If we want comments on our star wars missile defense system, we’d better ask Gene Roddenberry.

8. jeremy permalink
    August 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Why is this noteworthy?

9. August 16, 2008 12:21 am

LeHaye is *seriously* anti-Catholic… whore of Babylon and all that. I don’t give his exegetical skills very high marks, to say the least.

10. Morning's Minion permalink*
    August 16, 2008 1:12 am

It is noteworthy beucause these books are immensely popular, and a shockingly high number of American evangelicals believe they contain as much fact as fiction.

11. Catholic Seminarian permalink
    August 16, 2008 1:41 am

“Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.” Catechism of the Catholic Church – 675

It seems that anyone who claims a solution to the worlds problems and sin apart from Christ is playing the part of the Antichrist… I think many politicians fall into this category. I am repulsed by both Obama (and Obama especially so) and McCain. That is why I will vote for a 3rd party candidate who is consistent with Catholic social teaching or withhold my vote.

12. Mark DeFrancisis permalink*
    August 16, 2008 7:51 am

God, give special graces to the laity, especially during the Sunday homilies…

13. August 16, 2008 9:39 am

Hey MM, here’s one of those rare times where I agree with you. I think you’re right on. The reason this sort of evangelicalism is popular in America is because America is superficial. We Americans, in general, can’t appreciate the goodness, beauty and depth of Catholic faith. We can appreciate moral therapeutic deism, with a little spooky apocalypticism thrown in.

14. August 16, 2008 11:11 pm

So MM, are you saying that a “shockingly high number of American evangelicals” get their theology from fiction writers? Doesn’t seem like you have a very high opinion of evangelicals.