The Golden Compass

November 22, 2007
tags:

A movie called, “The Golden Compass” is to be released this December. It stars Nicole Kidman and will be highly marketed around the world. We need to get the word out about this movie
~~> an atheist produced it
~~>
it is marketed for children and
~~> in the end they kill God.

The series’ author, Philip Pullman, is an avowed atheist who said in a 2003 interview with The Sydney Morning Herald, My books are about killing God.”
He also said,
“I don’t profess any religion; I don’t think it’s possible that there is a God.” Critics of Pullman’s books point to the strong anti-religion and anti-God themes they incorporate, and although literary works are subject to a variety of interpretations, Pullman left little doubt about his intentions in that 2003 interview with The Sydney Morning Herald.

Many unsuspecting parents will be taking their children to see this movie – it is important to unmask the truth about its meaning.

Here is part of what The Catholic League’s writes about on this subject:

“A film called “The Golden Compass” opens December 7. It is based on the first book of a trilogy titled His Dark Materials. The author of this children’s fantasy is Philip Pullman, a noted English atheist. It is his objective to bash Christianity and promote atheism. . . TO KIDS.”

The Golden Compass is a film version of the book by that name, and it is being toned down so that Catholics, as well as Protestants, are not enraged.

Even the snopes.com site has verified this.

The second book of the trilogy, The Subtle Knife, is more overt in its hatred of Christianity than the first book, and the third entry, The Amber Spyglass, is even more blatant. Because “The Golden Compass” is based on the least offensive of the three books, and because it is being further watered down for the big screen, some might wonder why parents should be wary of the film.

The film is bait for the books: unsuspecting parents who take their children to see the movie may be impelled to buy the three books as a Christmas present. And no parent who wants to bring their children up in the faith will want any part of these books.

Note from Soutenus: I believe it is important that all Christians, especially those with children or grandchildren, read the booklet that can be ordered here. Anyone who does will be armed with all the ammo they need to convince friends and family members that there is nothing innocent about Pullman’s agenda. Though the movie promises to be fairly non-controversial, it may very well act as an inducement to buy Pullman’s trilogy, His Dark Materials. And remember, his twin goals are to promote atheism and denigrate Christianity. TO KIDS. Our school is pulling any reading books, picture books, activity books, stickers or promo materials for The Golden Compass that Scholastic sends our way. I want our school to discontinue ANY sales in partnership with Scholastic but that is not to be quite yet.

You can also watch a video of the Catholic League’s Bill Donohue discussing this issue here.

Let’s get the word out.

1. November 22, 2007 7:08 am

Atheists don’t have the right to make kids’ movies? Catholics should boycott publishing companies that publish atheist books? Wha–?

I’m looking forward to seeing the film. Looks interesting.

2. November 22, 2007 7:13 am

BTW – Bill Donahue continues to embarrass Catholics each and every Christian holiday season. He talks about how the release of “The Golden Compass” at Christmas time is “calculated.” OF COURSE it is — it’s Christmas. Movies are always pushed at Christmas. The Passion of the Christ was pushed at Easter time. Donahue himself calculates his moves and is nothing but an attention seeker.

3. November 22, 2007 12:37 pm

I don’t have plans to read the books or watch the movie, but I have to agree with Michael on this one. Pullman and his movie-making colleagues are free to write fiction, make films, and market them as they see fit. The Christian response has to be more than another mindless boycott. Another example of argumentation by subtraction.

Better would be to put more energy into writing books and making films that inspire belief and virtue. Oh wait … we have Bella … Narnia … that Easter film, I guess …

4. November 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Catholics should point their boycotting energies elsewhere. Starbucks, for example, as Katerina mentioned earlier.

5. radicalcatholicmom permalink
    November 22, 2007 3:49 pm

Gentlemen, I think Soutenus is concerned because this movie is aimed at children. They don’t have the ability to sift through the messages and I personally am not sure I would let my daughter watch a movie aimed at getting her to think God does not exist. When she is an older teenager that is something different, but not a child.

6. November 22, 2007 4:01 pm

I just don’t see the point in getting worked up over it. Of course parents should be aware of what their kids watch. Soutenus and the embarrassment that is the “Catholic League” go beyond this. So much of our culture is aimed at kids and most of it is much more insidious than some fantasy movie that is ostensibly about “killing God.” Try the glorification of war in our schools, of all places.

7. November 22, 2007 7:09 pm

A couple of things. First, Donohue does not have an iota of credibility. Second, from what I understand, Golden Compass is yet another anti-Christian Gnostic treastise. It is staggering that these people keep popping up like clockwork every now and then over the past 2000 years, claiming to be saying something new, when in fact, Marcion said it all in the second century. For doesn’t this author claim that YHWH is an evil God who needs to be destroyed. Sorry, but we’ve seen that somewhere before. And anybody who thinks they can take on this movie without understanding how deeply ingrained Gnosticism is in this country, and how is particular it has infected Protestantism, is simply deluding themselves. And that includes you, Mr. Donohue.

8. November 22, 2007 7:14 pm

MM

I found this an interesting commentary on the piece (from someone who understood its gnostic tendencies): http://gotthammer.blogspot.com/2007/11/golden-compass-reflections-on-danger-of.html

While I don’t agree with him in saying I think the text is good, it nonetheless is refreshing to see someone who can catch the gnostic element.

9. arewak permalink
    November 22, 2007 8:05 pm

Can someone here give me a brief summary of what gnosticism is all about. I have done some reading on it but it seems to encompass a host of seemingly disparate ideas.

10. November 22, 2007 9:11 pm

There are many kinds of gnosticism, and that can make things difficult. I am not going to go into the details of the different kinds and their various cosmologies here. However, there are many features which they have in common, and ultimately these help produce its final form via Mani. What are they?

1) The world we exist in is evil, created by an inferior creator, who can be scene as tainted by “evil” if not evil (depending upon the form of gnosticism)

2) There is a great universe which transcends this world, the world of the good.

3) The connection between this world and the higher, real good, is found in a “docetic” Christ: that is, a higher being/entity who is trying to lead us through our spiritual side to the higher good. As a result of this, there are two traditions, the wordly following of this being with its apostolic succesion, wordly reasoning, etc and the higher, greater revelation which transcends them and which must be followed — allowing us to know the world, the flesh, and all within is to be rejected as evil so we can be pure spirits.

4) Hence the idea of gnosticism is “we are in the know” vs everyone else; this does not mean (as some think) that they were hyper rational, etc; rather it just means their understanding of the world was light/dark, good/evil, spirit/flesh and all kinds of dualism along those lines.

5) Marcion and many like them follow through with this system to say that the God of the OT, Yahweh, was the creator of this wordly system, ignorant of the real spiritual realm, and so controls this world without the higher , true good which he needs. Thus he is a “creator” but not “the good” and indeed, seen by many of them as “evil” (though not all would say he is; some would say he is just ignorant and need help from Sophia; yet, for many groups such as the Sethians, he was indeed declared to be evil, and all that was said to be evil in the OT was actually good and vice versa).

11. November 23, 2007 4:42 am

Call me crazy, but I am all for boycotting anything that poisons my young child’s mind. And I think it is important to let parents know the plot lines and general intent of authors. As a consumer, my repose to boycott something is one of the ways I have to communicate with marketers. In this case I am also protecting my children. It is disheartening to find that some think this is overboard or mindless.

12. November 23, 2007 7:43 am

The film is rated PG-13. That’s enough of a reason not to bring young children; the plot line or the ideology of the author is irrelevant. I don’t think a boycott as such is either overboard or mindless. But it is misguided and possibly the wrong tool to use.

13. November 23, 2007 2:44 pm

I find many a movie rated PG13 I would consider good for children. Sometimes our society is very sensitive to the wrong kinds of interests, and I would not be surprised if things which were once labelled “G” would be “R” and vice versa in some mixed up future.

It is rather better for a parent to be pro-active in the education of their children. I think we can all agree with this.

I personally find Pullman to be problematic because of his dishonest presentation of Lewis and others; even when he is corrected, he will return to his stock description of Lewis’ ideologies and use it to justify his “anti-Narnia.”

I have no problems of watching films made by atheists, even with an interest to convert people to atheism (Douglas Adams comes to mind); but there is something insidious to Pullman to me, and so I have no interest in providing him any extra income through my wallet. Others are free to decide as they wish — but I do think it is fine for people to show concern, while others to feel no need to join in with the boycott. It’s a difference in how one conducts a prudential decision in this regard, and the kind of difference allowed.

14. November 23, 2007 3:29 pm

The movie and the books are not for “young children.” They are for young adults.

15. radicalcatholicmom permalink
    November 23, 2007 6:39 pm

Michael, until I heard other Catholic parents talk about this movie, I would have had no idea about its content. Now, 1)I am glad that other Catholic parents gave me the head’s up 2) I just do not take my daughter to the movies, but then she is only 2 and shouldn’t be watching anything anyway. 3) Even when she is older I will always first see the movie to ensure it is acceptable for her to see and I will read up on it before, otherwise I don’t think I would be doing a good job as a parent, like Henry said, “proactive” parenting.

As to whether “I” would watch the movie, that is different completely. We are not talking about adults at all and their preferences.

And Michael, I dislike Donahue as much as you do. I think he is wrong most of the times or overly sensitive, but even wrong people can be helpful sometimes.

16. November 23, 2007 7:17 pm

I’m all for “proactive parenting.” Absolutely.

I’m not into Catholics playing the culture war games.

17. November 24, 2007 2:01 am

I don’t like Donohue at all. He is truly an embarrassment, so if as a mother I were to boycott the movie, I would do it because there are better things that my children should be doing (rather than watching), but not because Donohue says so.

That being said, I still think that the “awareness” is beneficial for parents or relatives who simply may not know any better, because of x or y, so from that standpoint I agree with Soutenus a 100%.

I just think that the fact that this initiative comes from the Catholic League who continues to be an embarrassment is just unfortunate, because they take everything to the next level.

18. Stella permalink
    December 3, 2007 12:26 am

I do like to write in Defense of Mr. Donohue and the Catholic League, They should feel free any time to voice a wrong, if they choose so. I have learned to listen and be fair to all sides of issues. Mr. Donohue just shows more compassion, and raises awareness on issues, mostly Catholics find offensive.
    Please, by all means, anyone who wishes to see the Golden Compass, see it with your kids as many times as you like. You are most welcome to it.
    The irony is, always the liberal left dictates, and the conservatives make their own intelligent choice.

1. Compass: Golden or Moral? « Catholic Sensibility